Isaac Levitan: Create mood paintings with Magical Realism
‘ Levitan used heightened colours and realism to capture the soul of the places he painted .’
Issaac Levitan is widely considered to be Russia’s greatest landscape painter. His style, known as ‘mood painting’, blends the best aspects of applied Impressionist colour theory with atmospheric traditional tonal painting to create a heightened and magical sense of place.
This classical masterclass builds upon the ebauche and Impressionist programs taught at the School and shows you how Levitan developed an incredible style of his own from them.
Who it’s For
This is a very technical and rewarding course for strong painters who wish to create figurative but evocative oils. To make the best of the course you should be a competent ebauche painter with excellent subtractive colour mixing skills , as the course will build upon standard 19th century technique. Although the course is based upon late 19th century studio craft it’s delivered with the contemporary painter in mind; an ideal course for contemporary painters looking for a technical edge.
How it Works
Levitan and Magical Realism is based around three workshop days, starting with a quick recap of 19th century ebauche painting , the course focuses upon Turner’s late technique in depth by creating a full size active study of his large scale unfinished work, known as The Lake.
Where to Do It
MasterClasses are only available with Martin at his Norfolk studio
Fees and Booking
Course only £599 (at our Pay Now Price) , as a stand alone 3 day workshop.
To book online select a course date and pay, or if you prefer to speak to us call Jane on 01485 528588
Martin’s view of Levitan
‘Levitan sets the benchmark for post Impressionist realism – neither Classical nor Impressionist, yet respectful of both approaches, he learned to keep his pictures true to the sense of place and not simply paintings about painting. If you want to work honestly and with clarity, Levitan points the way.’ ‘
- Three days of structured specialist oils tuition colour planning and implementation
- Explanation, hands on painting and demonstration led learning, by a tutor with studio assistants which means you get on demand help at your easel.
- All materials and notes, are included so you don’t need to bring a thing or worry about what you need for the course.
- Learn a range of useful colour strategies from bold and simple to as nuanced as Monet’s later works.
- Learn more in depth and more specific knowledge than on our broader foundation courses such as Simply Oils.
- Refreshments and a light lunch included, so you can socialise at the School with your fellow students
- This course is not suitable If you’ve never studied at the school before.
- This course is an ideal top up to a Diploma as it takes themes from the first trimester and expands upon them using practical exercises
MasterClasses are only open to existing students, and by application. Please drop the school a line if you wish to apply for a place.